Chail Military School (Rashtriya Military School Chail or King George Royal Indian Military College) is a residential school in Himachal Pradesh, India, established after the First World War in 1922 with a donation of Rs 250,000 from King George V’s patriotic fund. The foundation stone of the school was laid by King George V in February 1922. The school started functioning at Jalandhar Cantonment in 1925. Since then cadets are known as "Georgians".
The school is located amidst pine and deodar forests in the heart of the 110 km2 Chail Sanctuary at an altitude of 2144 meters. World's highest cricket ground is located in Chail Himachal Pradesh and is used as a training and playground for cadets.
History of School
Chail Military School is the oldest military School in India. Along with its sister institute now located in Jhelum, Pakistan, Chail Military School was named as King George Royal Indian Military School after King George V. After the First World War, in February 1922 the foundation stone of the school was laid and regular classes were started in September 1925 at Jalandhar Cant in Punjab.
The school was founded with the aim of providing free education to the sons of JCOs, NCOs and ORs to prepare them for the various Army examinations including the Indian Special Certificate of Education. The entire curriculum of the school was based on military requirements with English as a medium of instruction. The original strength of the school was 250 and the staff consisted mostly of military personnel.
During the Second World War the school was designated as College. One hundred more cadets were admitted under the expansion scheme. The eligibility norms were relaxed to facilitate enrollment of near relatives of Army personnel and admissions were thrown open to all branches of armed forces. At that time, College was affiliated to the Panjab University for matriculation and intermediate examinations. This institution produced a large number of Officers.
After independence, it was felt that these schools should impart liberal education and should have a wider social basis. The King George Royal Indian Military College was renamed as King George’s School and shifted to Nowgong (Bundelkhand) in August 1952 where it was housed in ‘Old Kitchner College buildings’. The school was reorganized in September 1952 and half of the seats of total of 300 were thrown open to the wards of civilians and armed forces officers. In the same year school the was also made a member of the Indian Public School Conference (IPSC).
The King George’s School was relocated to its current location in Chail in Himachal Pradesh on July 1, 1960. It was renamed as Chail Military School, Chail. Cadets are now prepared for senior school certificate examination of the central board of secondary education, New Delhi and it is no longer obligatory for them to join the Defence forces.
In 2007, Chail Military School along with its sister institutes Bangalore Military School (Karnataka), Belgaum Military School (Karnataka), Ajmer Military School (Rajasthan) and Dholpur Military School (Rajasthan) were renamed as Rashtriya Military Schools of India.